Delicious harissa glazed aubergine recipe…
Tuck into this wonderful recipe for Harissa Glazed Aubergine with Baba Ganoush and celebrate the flavours this delicious dish has to offer.
FOR THE HARISSA & MISO MARINATED AUBERGINES:
- 2 tbsp red miso paste (such as Miso Tasty Red Aka Miso Cooking Paste, available at Waitrose and Ocado)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tbsp rose harissa
- 2 medium aubergines, halved lengthways
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp salt
FOR THE BABA GANOUSH:
- 2 large aubergines (about 650g)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper
FOR THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
- 1 small butternut squash (approx. 500g), peeled, deseeded and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 4 flat breads
- Put all of the marinade ingredients, except the harissa, in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Leave to cool. Add the harissa paste and whisk until smooth. Pour the marinade into a dish large enough to place the aubergine halves in a single layer. They should fit snugly.
- Score criss-cross lines in the flesh-side of the aubergine with a sharp knife. Rub with the lemon half and the salt. Place flesh side down in the marinade and set aside for at least 30 mins or up to 4 hours.
- To make the baba ganoush, preheat the grill to a medium-high heat and line a baking tray with foil. Prick the aubergines with a fork and grill on the prepared baking tray, turning occasionally, until the skin is charred and soft when pressed.
- When cool enough to handle, cut the aubergines in half and scoop out the flesh into the small bowl of a food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC and prepare a baking sheet with a sheet of baking paper big enough to wrap the aubergines.
- Remove the aubergine from the marinade (reserving any marinade left in the dish for later) and place flesh-side up on the baking paper. Bring the edges of the paper together and twist to seal to create a parcel. Place in the oven for 20 mins.
- Put the squash on a roasting tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with the oil. Season.
- After 20 mins, remove the tray from the oven and undo the parcel. Pour over the reserved marinade and return to the oven uncovered for a further 20-30 mins until the flesh is soft. Place the squash in the oven at this point too, on the lower shelf. It should be tender and golden by the time the aubergine is cooked.
- To serve, warm the flatbreads according to packet instructions. Spoon baba ganoush on the plate, followed by the glazed aubergine. Scatter the squash around the plate and garnish with the pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and molasses.